Two main themes emerge when I look at the feedback I’ve received about unbundled pricing. It’s economical and it’s fair. People are initially startled by the idea, since their usual experience is to see one price and accept it without understanding all the factors that go into the price.
Client advantages to unbundled hearing aid prices include the following:
- It’s easier for clients to pay smaller amounts over time.
- The process is transparent to the client.
- Costs are deferred until services are rendered.
- The client only pays for services used.
- Fairness is maintained.
- The client has a better understanding of the process that goes into better hearing.
The Hearing Loss Association of America endorses fee itemization through their “Campaign to Make Hearing Aids Affordable” and the American Academy Code of Ethics endorses full disclosure. The process of switching from bundled pricing to itemized pricing may be difficult, especially for large practices, but I thing it’s the right thing to do.
So, what does an unbundled fee structure look like? My next step will be to describe what I’ve done on my website, ears2you.net. Stay tuned!